Walnut Hills, since its founding, has been known for its cultural, ethnic, religious, and socio-economic diversity. One of the oldest neighborhoods in the city of Cincinnati, it was first settled by the Reverend James Kemper in 1804.
The Kemper Homestead is the oldest house in Cincinnati, a two-story log house, and was located between Park Avenue and Kemper Lane north of Windsor Street.
Later, wealthy landowners established expansive estates and built housing for their employees. Schools and other training and educational opportunities were established and commerce in the historic Peebles Corner area flourished. From its very beginning, the outstanding characteristic of this area has been the diversity of the residents.